What is Yin Yoga
Yin yoga is a combination of Yoga, meditation and the ancient knowledge of the meridians/energy lines. In Yin Yoga you find mostly sitting and lying postures that are held for a longer period of time (2-5 minutes).
A lot of these Yin Yoga postures work mainly on the area of the groin, hips and lower back. Energy flow and flexibility in these areas strengthens your basic life force.
For information about Yoga in general click here.
For information about Yoga and Yin Yoga lessons & workshops click here.
The effect of Yin Yoga
Apart from general effects already mentioned at Yoga Yin Yoga works more specific and deeper on
- Optimal energy flow in meridians and organs
- Softness and flexibility of connective tissues
- Lubrication and flexibility of joints
- Conscious awareness (mindfulness)
- Freeing blockages that are stored deeper in the body
Yin and Yang in yoga
Yin and Yang are intertwined by nature and complement each other.Yang: dynamic, rhythmic, strengthening and toning muscles. Yin: static, slow, relaxing muscles, softening and toning connective tissues, lubricating joints.
Yoga is always a combination of both. But you can vary your focus, according to what your body, mind and energy need.
Yin yoga restores balance
Our western way of living is highly Yang orientated (focus on ratio, performance, multi-tasking, doing, high speed). And so is usually our western way of practicing yoga (focus on physical performance and perfection). This takes us out of balance. And can even lead to chronic stress related symptoms like headaches, back problems, depression and burn-out.
- The natural solution for negative side effect of a too much Yang oriented way of living or yoga practice.
- Easy accessible training in mindfulness (awareness while being in a yoga pose)
- A firm foundation deeper in the body that reduces tress and makes you aware of your boundaries.
- A way of doing yoga that honors and benefits the natural rhythms of women (for more information on this topic click here)
- Grounding, strengt and vitality in the pelvic floor (also for men!)